22 juli 2007

Football in Palestine #2

During my visit to Palestine I had a very male discussion with a Palestinian friend from Haifa. Off course it was about football. He told me a story about the Palestinian football team and how they did a very good job against Quwait. They only lost 11-0. For me it sounded very strange to be satisfied with such a big loss. But I understood it better after he explained to me the players only met like +/- 20 minutes before the game started. They were introduced to each other just before the game started and found out several players wanted to play on the same spot. While laughing with this situation it came to me that the occupation off Palestine has its effects on every level of society, even sports. And just today I found this post on You Tube about the Bethlehem Female Soccer Team. Again its fun but at the same time it shows we have to keep on working against the occupation so normal live can return for the Palestinians.

Geen opmerkingen: